Press the link below for the tribute.

The Rev. Evan Loyd Ardley

Died 4 September 2016, aged 69 years


Evan Ardley was described by fellow houseman Paul Johnstone (1969-74) as acerbic, warm, hilarious and diligent. With his brother Michael Ardley (1968), Evan was one of the strong leaders of the house in Canon Rymer's era.


Sometimes affecting an amusing scornful veneer, Evan was a deeply shy person who cared for every individual at College House. Where others failed, Evan inspired hope and purpose in new arrivals. Few brothers have made a more colourful impact on CH than Evan and Michael Ardley," Paul recalls.

Evan was a priest in various New Zealand parishes before moving to the USA. There he became rector of parishes in Indianapolis and Santa Rosa, California and then a leader in San Francisco hospice ministries. With remarkable pastoral gifts, Evan had the ability to make the person he was ministering to feel as though they were the only person in the world.

"Evan's characteristic Franciscan style and therapeutic manner were ultimately fulfilled in senior administration and training for major hospices in the US," says Paul. Even died suddenly in San Francisco, at Trinity St Peter's Episcopal Church, while he was attending the Sunday morning mass. He is survived by his wife Diana, and his daughters Katie and Elizabeth.


Steve Craw

Died 28 February, 2017

I first met Steve at College House in 1967-68. During that time, even with all the activities and distractions at CH, I got to know him quite well, as no doubt many other housemen did too. Steve majored in Political Science. Steve thrived on robust discussions particularly if they had a philosophical or political science leaning. To have a decent discussion with him, you had to have time and not rush away to do something else. No cell phones in those days thank goodness.

He was always a good listener who respected others’ views, even if they did not fit in with what he was expressing at the time. He constructed his points logically, and posed thoughtful questions about issues of the day. 

Steve and I flatted together for four years including two years when we were at Teachers’ College. One lasting memory I can reflect on, is that Steve took ages to complete his Master’s thesis. He went through quite a few cigarettes in the process. I’m not quite sure exactly when he completed it.

In later years I lost touch, but we reconnected again in the mid-2000s. At this time, I learnt more of his enthusiasm and dedication to table tennis. He would take teams to play against clubs in other towns/cities in New Zealand, and a few times to Australia as well. He was known to keep a notebook of all the people he played against so he could analyse their games, and prepare himself better. 

Steve was a decent, thoughtful and kind man who was only too willing to help out when needed. There was no one else quite like him. May he continue to rest in peace.


Hans Zindel, Palmerston North


William Arthur Sandford Cox(1968) BSc, BCom, CA

Died 2 October 2014 aged 65 years

The only son with four much older sisters, Bill had a charmed Auckland childhood spending much time with his father who had missed his daughters’ milestones due to the war.

Going south to study engineering at Canterbury, Bill had a year at CH and a change of heart, graduating with a BSc. Returning to Auckland, Bill joined Hutchison Hull, adding a BCom and ACA to his qualifications. However, the wider arena of business beckoned and over the years Bill developed a number of private business interests. In the mid-1980s he acquired the JCB agency to develop and market its credit card to take advantage of the projected boom in Japanese tourism. He had a challenging, wonderful 22 years with JCB, earning enormous respect and loyalty, and making lifelong friendships.


It was his extraordinary energy and generosity, his humour and his deep commitment and love for his wife Mary, his children and stepchildren, grandson, family and many friends that epitomised Bill’s character. Eulogies at his funeral described a nurturing, caring, compassionate man who loved to sail, walk along the beach, enjoy his wine, and whose life enriched everyone around him. Bill died in Waikouaiti last year after a long illness.

James Deans (1966-68) LLB (Hons)

Born 1948, died 21 June 2014

Jim spent three years at College Houise, the last of which was as Head of House in 1968. Graduating with his LLB (Hons), Jim worked in Christchurch, and then spent three years practising law in London. Jim was seconded from his London law office to Bahrain as legal adviser to the Finance Minister of Bahrain before returning to Christchurch to take up a partnership with Weston Ward & Lascelles, and also to farm his family property, Homebush, west of Darfield. Over 500 people attended Jim’s beautiful funeral, held at Homebush. Alumnus Nick Davidson QC (1967) delivered a very fine eulogy.


Fraser Flanagan (1968-70)

Born 1942, died December 2006, aged 64 years.

Fraser Kelvin Flanagan was born in 1942, and began his career as a primary school teacher.  In 1968, he was accepted for ordination into the Anglican Church, which required that he live at College House for three years for theological training. He was Head Theolog in 1970, graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1971, and served for 23 years as vicar for various parishes in the Christchurch diocese.  While at College House, Fraser met his wife Lois and they had four sons: Nick, Hamish, James and Richard.  James passed away suddenly in infancy while Fraser was Vicar of Methven.  Lois, Nick, Hamish and Richard have all become practicing lawyers.  

In 1989, Fraser gained a Masters degree in Education from the University of Canterbury, and his career subsequently transitioned into social work with Child Youth and Family.  He worked tirelessly as an area coordinator for Prison Fellowship where he introduced a restorative justice program called Sycamore Tree into Christchurch prisons.  Fraser died in December 2006 after a short but courageous battle against an aggressive blood cancer.  With his servant heart, deep faith in God and special capacity for encouragement, Fraser lived his life helping and caring for others.  A Fraser Flanagan Memorial Fellowship has been established at College House to continue his spirit of giving to current students.


Lois Flanagan and David Maidment


Angus MacIntyre

Died on 18 March 1991, aged 41 years. 

Angus Archibald MacIntyre, the eldest son of Duncan MacIntyre and Diana Hunter MacIntyre was born on 7 July 1949 in Waipukurau, Hawkes Bay. Angus went to Porangahau Primary School before transferring to Hastings Intermediate when his father became the National MP for Hastings. He began at Christ’s College in 1963 and became head prefect in 1967, before attending College House in 1968.


Angus’s degree from Canterbury University was a BSc double honours in Bio-Chemistry and Zoology, followed by a 6 month stint of teaching and assisting at Victoria University before being awarded two scholarships to study ecology in the USA. He entered the UC Davis Graduate Ecology Program in 1972 as a ‘hard scientist’ and exited in 1983 with a Ph.D. in Policy Science.


Angus married US scientist Phyllis Tichinin in 1978 and they had two children, Corra and Duncan.

In the early 1980’s he took up a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Queensland Political Science Department to study development pressures and governmental responses in that state.


Subsequently offered a lecturer position at Lincoln University’s Centre for Resource Management, Angus advanced to Senior Lecturer and inspired dozens of graduate students whilst instigating a new undergraduate Bachelor of Resource Studies degree.


Angus’s life was cut short before his significant talents and undoubted leadership potential in the environmental and political spheres could be fully realized. He died of an asthma attack after a 10 day stay in hospital for pneumonia, in Davis, California on 18 March 1991.


Stephen Nelson (1968)

Eruera (Ted) Te Whiti o Rongomai Nia (1968) DipFA, MA&D

Died on 9 June 2016, aged 66 years. 

Ted was named after his grandfather, Lieutenant Colonel Eruera Te Whiti o Rongomai Love, the first Māori to command the 28th (Māori) Battalion. Ted studied for a DipFA in drawing; and he was a keen houseman. His great friend Richard Matthews (1968) says Ted was very nostalgic about College House. “His experiences and relationships formed there were very significant in his life.” 

By the early 1970s, Ted began to question who he was in terms of Māori and the Cook Islands where his grandmother lived; he felt the need to find himself within these two cultures. Ted formed the Christchurch branch of the Māori activist group ‘Nga-Tamatoa’ with Tame Iti; he took part in protest activities including the 1975 Māori Land March, the 1977 Bastion Point occupation and the 1981 Springbok tour. 

In the 1980s Ted discovered filmmaking. In 1986 he formed Rangiatea Films, and produced and directed the documentary ‘Te Atiawa o Runga te Rangi’ depicting Taranaki’s remaining kuia and koru. He made more films including documentaries depicting Taranaki’s lakes, rivers and the sea that being used by corporates for commercial purposes. Ted saw an advance screening of his last film ‘Poi E’ a few weeks before he died. Living partly in the Cook Islands where he was a Paramount Chief, Ted moved effortlessly between Cook Island, Māori and Pakeha societies. Ted leaves two daughters, Takau and Helen. 

© CH 50. Proudly created with

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now